Monday, April 2, 2012


Warm Italiano Spread


Yesterday, we went to my Mom's cabin in Michigan for a cook-out, and I made an appetizer I've been dying to try: a cheesy, gooey, pesto-y dip/spread that you can make on the grill! I think I found the recipe at www.kraftrecipes.com, if you want to check it out. It was ridiculously good! I definitely need to make it for Girls Night some time; it could be a meal in itself! It's also super quick, easy and portable, so it's perfect for cook-outs or camping - yum!

Warm Italiano Spread

an 8-ounce package of Neufchatel cheese (low-fat cream cheese substitute)
1/4 cup pesto
1 plum tomato, diced (I used grape tomatoes, halved)
1/4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
crackers ( I used Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuits)

Heat grill to medium heat.  Place unwrapped Neufchatel cheese on an 8-inch square of heavy duty aluminum foil; top with pesto, tomatoes and shredded cheese.  Place foil packet on grill; cover with lid.  Grill 8-10 minutes or until shredded cheese is melted and Neufchatel cheese is softened, but still holding its shape.  Transfer foil to platter. Serve with crackers.

* To prepare in your oven: bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes.



Along with the gooey, grilled appetizer, I made a variation of a "Shandy"; a lemony beer "cocktail". I just combined a pilsner beer with a capful of bottled lemon juice and garnished with a lemon slice.  Oh, how refreshing! There are a million different ways to make this drink - go out there and try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment