Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Breakfast Cookies!


While browsing through magazines (both online and offline), Pinterest, and assorted "Mom blogs", I've come across TONS of recipes to try. I have a huge three-ring binder full of these "finds" that serves as my own personalized cookbook. A few days ago, I was reading the April issue of Parents magazine. I know, I'm an issue behind, but magazine reading is sometimes a total LUXURY at my house! Anywho, I came across this little gem: Breakfast Cookies! With oatmeal, carrots , raisins and a cream cheese filling - yes please! Of course, my husband's first comment was, "What? Why carrots?!?" Yeah, well, more for Regan and I to eat...Oh, according to the nutritional info in the magazine, each "cookie" has 262 calories and 34 grams of carbs, so I'm counting each one as a meal; and with a big mug of coffee, it pretty much is!

Yeah, yeah, I copied their photo...but it's just so kitschy and cool!


Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies (with thanks to Parents Magazine)

1 cup white whole-wheat flour (I used all-purpose)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup regular rolled oats
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1/2 cup raisins
6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (I uses Neufchatel cheese)
2 Tbl. maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I sprayed mine with non-stick cooking spray); set aside .  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars, egg, flour mixture, oats, carrots and raisins.  Drop dough by slightly rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies begin to brown.  Let stand 1 minute on baking sheet, then remove and let cool on a wire rack.  For filling, in a small bowl, mix cream cheese and maple syrup.  spread 1 tablespoon of filling on the flat side of half of the cookies.  Top with remaining cookies to make sandwiches. Wrap and chill for up to 3 days. 


I hope I'm successful in limiting Regan to ONE of these a day; they're scrumptious! I think I'll try  making mini versions next time, or making them with shredded zucchini this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment