Thursday, April 5, 2012

A "green" meal for spring!


Last night it was my turn to host Girls Night, and of course, I tried out a NEW recipe! Have you noticed that pattern with me? Last night's menu contained a lot of GREEN, though purely coincidentally! The appetizer was a wedge of Parmesan cheese and olives (some of them were green). The entree was a recipe from Real Simple magazine ( www.realsimple.com): Pesto Meatballs and Couscous. I "borrowed" their photo (above) ; my photo is below. They were absolutely awesome! I will definitely make them again - yum!



Pesto Meatballs and Couscous (adapted from Real Simple magazine)

2 Tbl. olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 1.2 pounds of ground turkey)
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
3/4 cup jarred pesto
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. black pepper
a 10-ounce box couscous (I used 1 1/3 cups of Israeli couscous, per the package instructions)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Drizzle olive oil into a baking tray and tilt to coat.  In a large bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of pesto, egg, salt and pepper.  With your hands, mix just until combined.  Shape the mixture into 12 meatballs (somehow, I ended up with 21), using about 1/4 cup for each.  Transfer meatballs to baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.  Turn and bake until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes more.


Meanwhile, prepare the couscous according to the package directions.  I loved the size of Israeli couscous; it seemed heartier than the tiny "regular" couscous.


In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup pesto with a tablespoon of olive oil (I added some water too).  Spoon the mixture over the cooked meatballs and turn to coat.  Divide the meatballs among individual plates and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

* I spooned the pesto "sauce" over the couscous too - it was delicious!

Also, instead of a veggie side dish or a salad, I made what I call "asparagus bread": cut a rustic French or Italian loaf of bread into slices. Top with shredded cheese (I used a Parmesan and mozzarella combo). Top the cheese with asparagus spears; either steamed or "oven grilled" (drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and bake at 450 for 5-8 minutes). Sprinkle with a little more cheese and bake at 350 degrees until cheese melts - soooooo good!


For dessert, we had mango sorbet - so refreshing (thanks, Susie)! Seriously, what is not to like about Girls Night? Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment