Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Comfort Food!


Earlier this week, it snowed three times. Kinda makes you want to curl up with a warm, snuggly blanket and read. Or, make something warm and comforting...like rice pudding! Plus, it makes your house smell deeeeeelicious! And, for nostalgia's sake, I used my Mom's recipe, which I think may have been her Mom's recipe too. I remember coming home from school to this yummy treat...mmm...


Rice Pudding (with a special thanks to my Mom, Sharol Beckner Alexander Watkins)

1 cup cooked rice ( I used white Minute Rice, but any kind would work)
4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar or 2/3 cup brown sugar (of course, you know I opted for the brown sugar!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins

Combine rice, milk, sugar and salt.  Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish.  Bake at 300 degrees for one hour (stirring occasionally).  Add nutmeg and raisins.  Bake another 1 1/2 hours (stirring occasionally).

*My rice pudding turned out a tad bit runny this time, so next time I think I'll use 3 1/2 cups milk and see what happens.  Also, the brown sugar makes the pudding sort of a beigy-tan, instead of the usual white, but it also lends a brown-sugar-caramel flavor, which is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment