Saturday, February 25, 2012

Zucchini Cakes!


During a quick glance at the contents of our "garage freezer" (which is, not surprisingly, a small chest freezer in , yep, our garage...) I spied bags and bags of shredded zucchini from last summer's garden.  Lunch was a "no-brainer": zucchini cakes (or fritters, or pancakes, or whatever...)! This is a super-simple and very tasty alternative to boring old grilled cheese for lunch! The bright green zucchini really made me antsy for spring to get here, so I can get my garden started for the year! Soon, very soon...

Zucchini Cakes (origin of recipe unknown)

1 medium zucchini, shredded (I used 2 cups of frozen, shredded zucchini, thawed and drained)
6.5-ounce package cornbread mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
vegetable oil (I used safflower)

Microwave the shredded zucchini 2 minutes on medium-high (I set the power to 80%); drain any juice.  Combine zucchini, cornbread mix, egg and milk.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Heat oil in a pan; drop heaping tablespoons of batter into hot oil.  Fry 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.  Serve with your favorite dip.

I dipped my "cakes" in Tostitos Restaurant Style salsa, it's garlicky and I think it has cilantro in it too, it's also finely minced and pretty runny; just right for dippin'! You could also dip them in Cilantro Aioli (see 2/23/12 post for recipe) or ranch dressing, or even douse them with Tabasco sauce.  I also have a recipe for roasted red pepper dip, if you feel like giving it a whirl...enjoy!

Roasted Red Pepper Dip

12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
1 Tbl. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
hot pepper sauce, to taste

Using a food processor, puree the red peppers with the garlic, olive oil and salt.  Add hot pepper sauce, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment