Monday, March 5, 2012

Crock Pot Green Chicken Chili


It was downright CHILLY yesterday, with occasional snow showers, so I thought a big pot, Crock Pot that is, of chicken chili sounded good.  I actually let it cook for 7 hours, and my house smelled wonderful all day! As the title reads, I'm calling this green chicken chili because of the green enchilada sauce and Cilantro, not because it resembles a St. Patrick's day entree! This recipe can be found at http://scatteredthoughtsofasahm.blogspot.com.  She adapted it from a Pampered Chef cookbook, and of course, I "adapted" it myself, too! My three-year-old gave it a big "thumbs up" and , after consuming a whole soup mug-ful, drank the remains of my soup mug too!


We ate some more the next day, with "cheese quesadillas" (shredded co-jack cheese on top of flour tortillas, warmed in the toaster oven), and it was EVEN BETTER! Yum!

 
Green Chicken Chili (for the Crock Pot)

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup chopped onions
3 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans or a 32-ounce carton of fat-free chicken broth
2 cans green enchilada sauce
2 Tbl. cilantro cooking base (it's awesome!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn (I used "Mexi-corn" with diced peppers)
1 can evaporated milk

Place chicken, onions, chicken broth, enchilada sauce and spices into the Crock Pot and stir to combine.  Cook on LOW for 4 hours.  Add the corn, beans and evaporated milk.  Cook on LOW 1 additional hour. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro when serving - yum!

 

*The original recipe called for 8 corn tortillas, broken into very small pieces, to be added as a thickening agent (4 in the beginning and 4 after 4 hours). I tried a tablespoon of quick-cooking tapioca, which did not work as well as I anticipated, so my chili was a little watery, but still DELICIOUS!

This recipe made a pretty big batch of chili; thank goodness I have a giant Crock Pot! I think I may freeze some of the chili; for other "chilly" days!

No comments:

Post a Comment