Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Comfort Food with a Twist...


Last night, I tried a new take on the original, old-fashioned baked macaroni and cheese; baked gnocchi and cheese! I think I saw a recipe on Pinterest, or in a magazine, and decided to give it a try, I mean, who wouldn't like little potato puffs baked in a cheesy sauce? Everyone , and I mean EVERYONE in my family loved it! So, bye-bye elbow macaroni! 

 I made up the recipe as I went along, consulting my grandmother's mac-n-cheese recipe as needed.

Baked Gnocchi and Cheese 

16-ounce vacuum-packed container of gnocchi
2-3 Tbl. butter
1-2 Tbl. flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese (I used one-half shredded co-jack and one-half Italian four-cheese blend; you can use absolutely ANY kind of cheese)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare the gnocchi according to the instructions on the package. Drain. Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook on low for a few minutes. Whisk in milk and cook a few more minutes until it thickens; stirring often. Add cheese and stir until melted. Place cooked gnocchi in a greased baking dish, making a single layer. Pour melted cheese over top of gnocchi and bake for 30 minutes, till lightly browned and bubbly.


I also made oven-roasted asparagus (see 11/10/11 post for recipe). There is just NO better way to prepare asparagus! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment