Monday, November 28, 2011


One of my girlfriends has a tradition of making Turkey Tetrazzini with her mother a day or two after Thanksgiving (with leftover turkey, of course), and I decided that I'd like to start that tradition with my daughter too. At 2 1/2 years old, she's only so much help, but she did enjoy the finished product!  The following is my version of the dish; a compilation of many, many recipes.

Turkey Tetrazzini

half of a one-pound  box of fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti, broken in half
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small can sliced mushrooms
2 cups diced, cooked turkey (I may have actually used more like 3 cups)
1 cup bread crumbs (I actually used crushed Texas Toast croutons, which turned out exceptionally better than boring old seasoned bread crumbs)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.  Drain and set aside.  In a large bowl, combine sour cream, soup, mushrooms and turkey. Stir. Season with salt and pepper.  Add pasta and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish.  Preheat oven to 350.  In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheese. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the pasta and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.

One recipe I consulted included a 9-ounce box of frozen creamed spinach, which sounded good to me, but then my husband would not have eaten dinner with us. Or, at least, would not have eaten what my daughter and I were having! I compromised by steaming some asparagus; win, win.


 So, hopefully, whipping up some Turkey Tetrazzini will be a new after-Thanksgiving tradition for me (and my daughter). I mean, seriously, what's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment