Tuesday, November 22, 2011


It's "that time of year" again at my house; Chex party mix season! I usually make the FIRST batch around Thanksgiving, and make additional batches as it "disappears"! We graze on the mix until the new year; or when we finally run out! My paternal grandmother did the same thing, for as long as I can remember. I like carrying on her tradition (and making it my own), plus, my family just loves the stuff!  There have been times when my supper has consisted of Chex mix and a glass of wine during the holiday season...not that there's anything wrong with that...

I use the "old school" recipe; no microwave version for me! And, I usually double the recipe each time I make a batch, so it lasts longer.  Just in case, for some bizarre reason you don't have the recipe, here it is from the side of a Chex cereal box:

the original Chex Party Mix

6 Tbl. butter or margarine
2 Tbl. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder (I've never actually used onion powder and it still tastes great)
3 cups Corn Chex
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Wheat Chex
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup pretzels

Heat oven to 250.  Melt butter in large roasting pan in oven.  Stir in seasonings.  Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.  Bake one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Spread on paper towels to cool (I have never done this part, I just let it cool in the pan, or let my husband have some because he likes it warm).  Store in an airtight container.


So, what are you waiting for? Go make some Chex mix and get into the holiday spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment