Thursday, September 1, 2011



So, this is what I "threw together" for supper tonight: one of my favorite summer pastas - penne with zucchini and pesto. I totally forgot to take an "artistic" shot of the entire pan of pasta, so, this is a shot of my actual bowl - sorry! This is a recipe I think I saw in Real Simple magazine a few years ago, but I could not find it in their archives, so now I'm making it my own! Tonight, of course, I "tweaked" the recipe and added shrimp, because it sounded good.

Penne with Zucchini and Pesto

2 medium zucchini or one large zucchini (about 3/4 lb total)
1/2 lb penne (half a box)
1 TBL extra virgin olive oil
1 large garlic glove, slivered
pinch of Kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1 can (14-15 ounce) cannellini beans, rinsed
1/4 cup pesto
8 TBL grated Parmesan cheese

Cut zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick diagonals and then cut each slice into 1/2-inch strips. Set aside. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and saute until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.  Add zucchini, a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook over high heat, tossing occasionally until zucchini is tender, about 4 minutes. Add beans and cook until heated through, about a minute.  Add pesto, stir to combine and adjust seasoning.  Drain pasta, and add to frying pan, toss to coat evenly. Add cheese and serve.

Like I said, I added pre-cooked shrimp (tails on) for a "fun" twist. I also make my own pesto in my food processor and freeze it. Yum, yum, yum. If you feel so inclined, here is my recipe for pesto:

3 cups fresh basil leaves
3 TBL grated Parmesan
2 TBL pine nuts
3 small cloves garlic, minced
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the basil, Parmesan, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine running, pour in a thin, steady stream of the oil, blending until the mixture is well combined and emulsified. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week, or it can be kept in the freezer for up to two months.

This pasta goes great with a very cold white wine...trust me, I know...enjoy, and good night!


1 comment:

  1. Well Christie, on a scale of 1 to 10 this was fantastic 9.5. The reason I say that is the slicing and dicing of the zucchini - lol
    used organic zucchini and a wonderful Pinot Grigio completed the whole experience. Rick and I are going vegetarian so this will be a wonderful addition. Thank you, Linda

    ReplyDelete