Wednesday, August 31, 2011


Applesauce! It's getting close to THAT time of year; trips to the local orchard, digging out my grandma's colander (at least that's what I think it's called), and that wonderful smell throughout the house! Also, I've been dealing with a toddler with stomach flu for two days, so applesauce has been on our minds a lot! Most often, I make "traditional" applesauce, which involves peeling and chopping a billion apples and boiling them with a little water till mushy enough to push through the colander. I add some granulated sugar to taste, and then fill many, many freezer containers. I also make a "fancier" version I found in Martha Stewart Living about 10 years ago (that's where the lovely stock photo came from). It is fairly decadent, and of course, I "tweak" it too...

Oven-roasted Applesauce

1/4 cup cider
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 TBL unsalted butter
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
3 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
pinch of salt

Heat oven to 375. In a 12-by-14-inch roasting pan or an 11-by-17-inch baking pan, combine the cider, cinnamon, cloves, lemon juice, brown sugar and butter.  Add the apples and toss. Roast until the apples are very soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer apples to the bowl of a food processor; pulse until smooth. Stir in the salt. Serve warm.

I usually use 6 McIntosh apples, or throw in a few Yellow Delicious. I also use salted butter, so there's no need to add salt at the end. This stuff is to die for; it tastes like apple pie!Another recipe I am wanting to try is from Food and Wine Magazine, also from about 10 years ago (you know, from before I was married and had a child and had tons of time to cook).

Pear-spiked Applesauce

4 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
2 pears, peeled, cored and quartered
1 cup water
1 TBL lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Bring apples, pears, water and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and cinnamon.  Serve warm or chilled.

I've been wanting to make this for a while. I'll post pictures if I get around to it. Right now, at my house, I'm serving Motts in kid-sized containers!

No comments:

Post a Comment