Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dessert first! Every Wednesday, two of my friends and I get together for "girls night" (we take turns hosting) and tomorrow is MY night. I decided to make the dessert tonight, to save time tomorrow; so, Dessert First! This recipe has been in my binder for a year or so, but this is the first time I've made it. I cut it out of a magazine, but cannot remember which magazine, so I can't give credit where credit is due. Plus, I "tweaked" it, of course, so now the recipe is MINE!




This is not what I would consider a "healthy" recipe by any means; it takes two sticks of butter for pete's sake! I sampled some while I was working on this post, and man, who cares? These are fabulous! Eat a few and then run around the block or jog in place for a while! Enjoy!


Chunky Chocolate Jam Bars

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup (two sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
5 squares semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I opted for sprinkling semi-sweet chocolate chips all over the top instead)
1 12-ounce jar raspberry jam (I used raspberry preserves, but I'm now thinking there are too many seeds in preserves...)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 baking pan with foil; grease foil lining (I used the waxed paper the butter came in and just wiped it all over the foil).  Mix flour, brown sugar and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two butter knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add oats, coconut and pecans; mix well.  Press half of the crumb mixture firmly onto bottom of pan. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate. Spoon jam over top; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Lift from pan by holding onto edges of foil and cool completely on a wire rack.  Cut into bars.

I'm making a Greek-themed dinner tomorrow (not that these bars fit into the theme; they just sounded really good) and will post photos and recipes after I recover, as there is quite a bit of wine drinking done on "girls night".




No comments:

Post a Comment