Saturday, September 17, 2011



Yes, I'm back! With a delicious solution for the overabundance of zucchini coming from my garden - still! Moist zucchini bars with cream cheese frosting. We had some for breakfast today...oh my!



This recipe is from www.bettycrocker.com. I found it while searching for zucchini bar recipes that DO NOT use vegetable oil. Every time I make bread or muffin recipes calling for a whopping one cup of oil, they feel and taste very greasy. So, yahoo for Betty Crocker! No greasiness with these bars; they taste wonderful! 

Zucchini Bars

2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves (I decided to leave this out)
1 cup shredded zucchini, drained
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 or 8-inch square pan. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves.  Stir in zucchini and nuts. Spread in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about one hour.


I frosted mine with a partial can of cream cheese frosting, but the recipe came with it's own spice frosting instructions, if you so desire:

Spice Frosting

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 TBL butter or margarine, softened
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
3 to 4 TBL milk

In a medium bowl, mix all frosting ingredients until smooth and spreadable.

This was the third or fourth time I made this specific recipe, and I am now throwing out all previous recipes, as I only need this one! What an enjoyable way to get a serving of veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment