Thursday, September 8, 2011


Tonight was one of those gray, gloomy, stay indoors and eat a cheesy casserole kind of night. I rummaged through my fridge and used up a few leftover foods to make an impromptu cheesy chicken noodle casserole: two diced boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked in the microwave-it was the easiest way), a can of cream of mushroom soup, half of a small container of sour cream, a small can of diced mushrooms and half a bag of egg noodles, cooked. I topped it with a leftover chunk of co-jack cheese, shredded, and crushed olive oil and sea salt flatbread crackers. The aroma was amazing, as it baked (at 350 for half an hour) , and I believe it was due to the flatbread crackers. I should have used a lot more of them. My husband actually ventured out of our basement home theater (how he pried himself away from the first NFL game of the season is a mystery) to get some! My 2 1/2-year-old daughter declared it "nummy", but she is a sucker for noodles (and cheese). I had every intention of steaming some broccoli as a side dish (since my husband would not eat the casserole if there were vegetables in it), but by the time it was ready to take out of the oven, I was too tired to bother.  Now I'm tired AND full of cheesy pasta - bedtime is not far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment