Wednesday, August 1, 2012

BLT Pasta!


Last night, my husband, the no-vegetable eater, was not going to be home for dinner, so I had the perfect opportunity to make something I hadn't had in a while (with lots of veggies in it).  Such a summery sounding recipe: BLT pasta!  I came across this recipe ages ago, in Real Simple magazine, and of course, I "tweaked" it a little. And, of course, I added cheese!

BLT Pasta

8 ounces rigatoni or penne pasta
6-8 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
6-7 ounces arugula leaves or fresh baby spinach
half a pint  (or so) cherry tomatoes, quartered, or grape tomatoes, halved
kosher salt
black pepper

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain and transfer to a large bowl.  Meanwhile, fry the bacon over medium heat till crispy (I added some olive oil since I was using turkey bacon, so it wouldn't stick).  Transfer to a paper towel-lined paper plate. Leave bacon drippings in pan and return to heat.  Add the arugula/spinach and stir until it wilts, 30-60 seconds.  Transfer the arugula/spinach to the bowl of pasta.  Return the pan to medium heat and add the tomatoes.  Cook for 2-5 minutes.  Transfer the tomatoes to the pasta and arugula/spinach. Add the bacon, reserving some for sprinkling on top, and toss with salt and pepper (to taste).  Top with crumbled bacon and serve. 

I used frozen chopped spinach, which I thawed in a colander in the sink (if you do this, be sure to squeeze all the water out before tossing into pan). I also tossed all the ingredients in the pan, instead of mixing in a bowl. And, of course, I topped it with shredded parmesan/romano - yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment