Monday, August 6, 2012

Ravioli and Zucchini Lasagna



Last night, I tried a new recipe I found on....wait for it...Pinterest (of course)! This "mock lasagna" is super simple and tasty, as well as a great way to use of some zucchini from my ever-exploding garden! I adapted it from the Good Housekeeping recipe I found at www.delish.com. I'm so glad I bought TWO bags of frozen cheese ravioli last time I was at the supermarket - I will definitely be making this again! 

Ravioli and Zucchini Lasagna

2 medium (about 1 pound total) zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 package  (26 ounces) frozen large cheese ravioli
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
8 ounces lean ground beef
1 jar  (26 ounces) tomato basil sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup( freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheet  or large plate with paper towels. Grease a  9 x 11-inch baking dish.  Heat large sauce pot of water to boiling over high heat. Add zucchini and cook 5 minutes. With tongs or slotted spoon, remove zucchini to prepared cookie sheet  or plate to drain.


Return water to boiling. Add ravioli and cook until ravioli rise to top. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned; transfer to small bowl. In same saucepan, in remaining 1 teaspoon oil, cook beef over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, breaking up beef with side of spoon. Stir in tomato sauce and onion; heat to boiling. Drain ravioli; return to sauce pot. Add meat sauce to ravioli in sauce pot and stir until combined. In prepared baking dish, arrange half of zucchini; top with half of ravioli, then half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layering of all ingredients. Bake 20 minutes or until hot in the center and golden and bubbly on top.

I skipped a few steps and just used jarred tomato basil sauce (no meat or onions). I also only put zucchini in half of the casserole dish, as my husband ,the non-vegetable eater, would have "freaked".  Really, I could barely taste the zucchini....

No comments:

Post a Comment