Thursday, January 5, 2012



'Tis the season for fondue! When it's cold and icy outside, I get a craving for warm, savory cheese fondue. And, since it was my turn to host girls night...mmm hmm, you guessed right! I usually host a fondue girls night at least once a year, and then make it another once or twice during the winter because my husband likes it too! I made a super simple white cheese fondue, served a tossed salad and ended the meal with a creamy, milk chocolate fondue - mmm!


 Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the prepared cheese fondue, but got a quick "after" shot! The recipe is from Real Simple magazine (where I "borrowed" the top photo) from like a zillion years ago:

Cheese Fondue

1 garlic clove, halved (optional)
1/2 cup dry white wine
a 10-ounce tub of refrigerated Alfredo sauce (I used a 15-ounce jar)
two cups shredded Swiss cheese
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg (I didn't have any)
1 Tbl. kirsch or brandy (optional)

Rub the garlic clove (if using) around the inside of a fondue pot or non-aluminum saucepan, then discard.  Add the wine and heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to low and add the Alfredo sauce, Swiss cheese and nutmeg.  Stir constantly until the cheese is melted and very hot.  Add the kirsch or brandy (if using).  Serve with cubes of bread, sliced pears and sliced apples. I also put out a bowl of jarred whole mushrooms, and have also served broccoli and cooked shrimp as dippers.

And of course, I served chocolate fondue for dessert! With cubes of pound cake and sliced strawberries - oh my! I've also dipped banana slices and marshmallows - mmm! This recipe comes from The New International Fondue Cookbook (are you surprised I have a fondue cookbook? I have three fondue pots!):

Fondue Au Chocolat

9 ounces Swiss milk chocolate, broken in pieces (I used  Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips)
1/2 cup whipping cream

Combine ingredients in a fondue pot or chafing dish.  Stir over very low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.  Serve with a variety of "dippers".
* I actually melted mine in the microwave (in a ceramic fondue pot).


No comments:

Post a Comment