Tuesday, January 3, 2012


Brrr! It's officially soup weather! The first snow storm of the new year has hit, and there's no way I'm going outside! Last night, I made a savory and tummy-warming soup (literally; it's spicy!), and now I'm contemplating another soup for tonight; there's no need to leave the house!

This soup recipe is a combination of several recipes I found online, and was inspired by the spicy lentil soup at Carrabba's Italian Grill.  To my astonishment, my husband, the non-vegetable eater, loves this soup!



Quick Lentil Sausage Soup

2-3 hot Italian sausage links; browned and cut into pieces (I used 3)
2 19-ounce cans lentil soup (I use Progresso)
3 small carrots, diced (I sliced 10 pre-packaged baby carrots)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced (I used half of a medium onion)
2 cups chicken broth
dash red pepper flakes (optional)
Basil, Oregano, Parsley flakes, salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.  Simmer, uncovered, until thick (about 30 minutes), or until the carrots are soft.

I serve this soup with bread, to cut the "heat" (it's pretty spicy)! Maybe I'll do a whole week of soups, starting with cheesy broccoli; stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment