Tuesday, January 10, 2012


Aaaaaand, the soup-a-thon continues! I'm actually making enough to eat AND freeze for later! And I'm also cleaning out my fridge and pantry by making such a variety of soups and stews; win-win! I'm so glad my daughter is such an Omnivore, or I'd be eating a lot of soup solo! Today's soup is my interpretation of split pea, my favorite Campbell's soup from childhood - enjoy!

Christie's Split Pea Soup

16 ounces dried split peas
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced carrots
1/2 cup (or so) finely diced turkey bacon or ham
a 14 or 15-ounce can chicken broth
4 cups (or so) water
salt and pepper to taste

Sort and rinse dried peas (did you know you can find pebbles mixed into the bag?). Heat some olive oil in a stock pot and cook the onions, carrots and bacon until the vegetables are soft.  Add the liquids and dried peas.  Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for at least half an hour, or until the peas are "smooshy".

*I let my soup simmer, lid slightly ajar, for about an hour, because I like the peas to disintegrate into a green sludge.

I see some red-skinned potatoes of undetermined age in my refrigerator's vegetable drawer; they may be tomorrow's soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment