Saturday, January 7, 2012


Another soup post! Well, it's because of the very wintry weather here; I'm not really "into" potato salad and strawberry shortcake at this time of year! So bring on the soups and casseroles (and assorted cookies)! This is another recipe of my Grandmother's (my Mom's Mom) and really hit the spot yesterday - enjoy!

Cream of Broccoli Soup (a special thanks to Lucile Ernest Beckner)

6 Tbl. butter
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 Tbl. flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk or cream
2 cups finely chopped broccoli (I used my food processor)
salt and pepper to taste
*I also added 1 1/2 cups shredded "cojack" cheese - mmm!

Melt butter in saucepan and add onion.  Cook till soft.  Blend in flour, broth, milk and salt and pepper.  Cook 7-9 minutes, until slightly thick.  Add broccoli and cook till tender, about 10 minutes. 

*I simmered my soup for about 30 minutes, to really thicken it up, and added the shredded cheese at the last minute or so. Oh, and if you use a food processor, be careful not to chop the broccoli too finely... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment