Wednesday, October 12, 2011


The applesauce-making has now begun! I know I already did a post on applesauce, but today I took photos along the way. Regan and I went apple picking with friends last week, and it was time to do something with them before they started to turn brown setting on my counter! This was the first time Regan (who is 2 1/2) got to help make applesauce. She was very interested in my Grandma's colander - or is it a ricer?


There is no actual "recipe"; I just core a bunch of apples (I was going to count them, but lost track early on) and cut them into chunks (no peeling necessary). We used Cortland this time, because the McIntosh apples were in the "no pick" area at the orchard when we picked apples last week. I believe I read (at the orchard) that Cortland are a combination of McIntosh and Ben Davis apples, so I'm thinking the applesauce is going to be A-Okay!


Toss the chunks into a pot, add a little water, and cook till soft. "Smoosh" the cooked apples in the colander/ricer and... IT'S APPLESAUCE!!! I added a tiny bit of granulated sugar to the applesauce, to "take the edge off"...



My "helper" thoroughly enjoyed the process, as well as the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment