Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year's Brunch


I know I'm a little late with this post, but, what with blizzard warnings, and such, I've been all kinds of busy! We hosted my Dad for brunch on New Year's Day, and, of course, I had to try out a new recipe! I thought about making the standard "breakfast casserole" thing, or the ever-popular Overnight Caramel French Toast (have I posted THAT recipe  before? I don't think so...), but finally decided to go with this easy baked breakfast thing I found on Pinterest (big surprise).  I don't have a name for it, perhaps cheesy, hammy hashbrowns bake? I daresay the leftovers were better than the "original"! Yum!



Cheesy, Hammy Hashbrowns Bake (adapted from a few sources)

4 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
one package Canadian bacon slices (8-10 slices), diced
one cup shredded cheddar cheese
12-ounce can evaporated milk 
one large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt blend


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 X 11-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.  Layer half of the hashbrowns, half of the onion flakes, half of the Canadian bacon and half of the cheese in the baking dish. Repeat with another layer.  In a small bowl, combine evaporated milk, egg and seasoned salt.  Pour over hashbrowns mixture and cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 5 minutes. 

*You can also prepare this the night before, which is what I did.  Just cover with foil and throw into the refrigerator.  In the morning, put it in the oven and turn on the oven to heat up. DO NOT put the cold baking dish into a hot oven or it could break! Bake as directed. Enjoy!



 For brunch, along with coffee, mimosas and the "bake", I served chocolate chip banana muffins (see 9-20-11 post for recipe; I omitted baking cocoa and added some milk chocolate chips) 



and colorful fruit skewers. 



So pretty it should be in a food blog! Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment