Sunday, January 12, 2014

Got Soup?


While winter continues to slowly grind on, my crock pot is getting a workout! Even though this weekend we've had a bit of a warming-up, it's still not shorts and flip flops weather! Puttering around in the kitchen is one of my favorite things to do, and I like the feeling that something's on the stove, in the oven or simmering away on the counter in the crock pot. It's no secret I like food....

Anyway, I was in the mood for something different (God forbid I should make the same thing twice in the crock pot!), so I scoured my big recipe binder for something I've been meaning to try but hadn't gotten around to.  Voila the winner: Tomato Basil Parmesan Bisque (actually, it's called "soup" by my source, but "bisque" sound so much fancier, don't you think?) I'm not a big tomato soup fan, but this was more like a creamy, savory pasta sauce.  Definitely a keeper!

Tomato Basil Parmesan Bisque
(adapted from a recipe posted by randomthoughtsandthrills.blogspot.com)

2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil, or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken stock/broth
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese (I used a 5-cheese Italian blend)
1 1/2 cups half and half or evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste

Combine tomatoes, carrots, onion, oregano, basil and chicken stock in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.  About 30 minutes before serving, make a "roux": melt butter over low in a saucepan and add flour.  Whisk constantly for a minute, then slowly stir in one cup hot soup.  Add another cup, then another, then another, and stir until smooth.  Add all back into slow cooker.  Stir, and then add the Parmesan cheese and half and half. Salt and pepper to taste. Add additional oregano and/or basil if needed (the slow cooker makes the spices a little bland over time).  Cover and cook on low an additional 30 minutes before serving. 

Oh my, how decadent this tastes! I served mine with slices of Asiago foccacia bread - yum!






No comments:

Post a Comment