Thursday, September 12, 2013

Delish Side Dish
 

Earlier this week, I had a craving for pork chops marinated in barbecue sauce, but was at a loss when it came to planning a side dish.  I had just bought a few zucchini squash at an Amish produce stand, so I perused my Pinterest board aptly named "Yum" and found this gem: Cheesy Zucchini Rice! I added sweet corn from my freezer (also from the aforementioned Amish produce stand), which "beefed up" the consistency.  It was soooooo savory! I had thirds...

 
 
Cheesy Zucchini Rice (with corn)
adapted from www.bunsinmyoven.com
 
1 TBL olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 cups chicken broth (I made mine with chicken bouillon)
2 TBL butter
1 medium or 2 small zucchini, grated (I used one small zucchini)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used shredded co-jack)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
 
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add the rice and stir to coat.  Toast the rice, stirring often, just until it starts to turn golden.  Pour in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and cover.  Cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat and add the butter, grated zucchini, cheese and garlic powder.  Stir until well incorporated.  Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.  Stir again and season with salt and pepper. Yum!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment