Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Seasonal Treat: Apple Butter!
 

Since we picked bushels and bushels of apples recently, I've had to come up with several different uses for them. I've already made applesauce, apple dumplings and apple crisp. I've never made apple butter before, but my maternal grandmother used to spend hours each fall in her church basement making vats of it with her church-lady friends.  
 
Online, I found recipes for making apple butter on the stove top or in a crock-pot. I was in a hurry, so I opted for the quicker version (only a few hours, not overnight)! No matter how much seasoning I added, it just tasted like cinnamon applesauce to me, but maybe that's how it's supposed to taste! Never fear, it really is good! Try it and see!
 
Apple Butter (adapted from www.bettycrocker.com)
 
12 medium tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cup apple cider
1 Tbl ground cinnamon
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
 
Combine all ingredients in a big pot.  Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour. Let cool slightly.  Mash apples with a potato masher (or fork), or puree in blender or food processor. Return to pot and cook on low heat for one or two additional hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick.  Let cool. Spoon into containers and store in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment