Friday, July 13, 2012

Deluxe Green Beans


In my family, you know it's summer if all you have for supper is green beans, well, DELUXE green beans. My paternal grandmother made this every summer when I was growing up. She let hers simmer on the stove for hours until the green beans started to fall apart - delish! My small green bean crop (three bean "teepees") yields just enough to make this dish a few times, and freeze a few bags for later. There's no recipe per se, but here's how I make green beans:

Pour some olive oil in a stock pot or dutch oven, throw in some chopped up bacon (I use turkey bacon, so the olive oil is primarily to keep it from sticking - if you use REAL bacon, you don't really need the olive oil). Cook the bacon till crispy, then add some diced onion and cook on low until soft. Add a few cups of water and toss in freshly snapped green beans and quartered red potatoes or those really trendy fingerling potatoes). Simmer until the potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Yum!

Tonight, along with the "deluxe green beans"  I had an open-faced cheese and tomato "sandwich": slice of bread topped with slice of tomato topped with sliced co-jack cheese. Broil in toaster oven till cheese is melted. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment