Thursday, June 28, 2012


Last night was my turn to host Girls Night, so you know what that means: new recipes! I've been wanting to make "white sangria" for some time now, and yesterday's 90-something temps were perfect for a cold, fruity and alcoholic beverage! I skimmed several recipes online and came up with this combo:

1 bottle sauvignon blanc
1 bottle prosecco or champagne
2 peaches, pitted, peeled and sliced
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
a large "handful" red raspberries
2-3 Tbl. sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a pitcher and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors combine. I really tasted the raspberries a lot, and one of my girlfriends said she could really taste the peaches...either way, it was wonderful! We drank the pitcher rather quickly and ate the fruit too!

While we were sipping our sangria, I set out jarred peach/mango salsa and some multigrain tortilla chips. For the "main event" I made something I just saw on Pinterest this week: Corn and Zucchini Quesadillas. They were pretty simple/easy to make, and super tasty! I am sooooo making them again! I can always use new recipes for zucchini; my garden is popping them out like crazy already!


 Corn and Zucchini Quesadillas (thanks to www.ezrapoundcake.com)

olive oil
one onion, chopped
salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini (about a pound), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 or 8-inch flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (like Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and some salt.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for one minute more.  Add zucchini and frozen corn.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is soft and corn is tender, about 6 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.  Place two or three tortillas on a baking sheet.  Spoon filling onto each tortilla  and then sprinkle with cheese.  Top each with another tortilla and press down gently with spatula to seal.  Bake until cheese has melted and tortillas start to brown, turning once, about ten minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool slightly. To serve, cut eat quesadilla into wedges.

*You can also brush the outsides of the tortillas with olive oil, for a crispier texture.  


I served the quesadillas with Cilantro Lime Rice (see 6/3/12 post for recipe), which got rave reviews! It's just so LIME-Y! I finished up the meal with zesty lemon sorbet (refreshing!)

 Oh, how I love fresh, tasty summer cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment