Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Got Strawberries?


So, my daughter, mother and I picked MORE strawberries yesterday; it's been a super LONG growing season here this year - hooray! This morning, I searched my pantry for a box of Bisquick mix to make shortcake with...but discovered I was out. What to do...what to do...search the Internet, of course! I found a slightly more decadent and only slightly more difficult recipe for shortcake, and it turned out great! The "biscuits" have a lot more flavor than the Bisquick version, but they were not as quick and simple to make...still, breakfast was saved! Try it out when you have half an hour or so! Or, when you don't have any Bisquick mix...

                                     please excuse my stained 10-year-old airbake cookie sheets...

Classic Shortcake (adapted from www.preparedpantry.com)

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter cut in pieces
2 large eggs whisked with 3 tablespoons of cold milk



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry knife or two sharp knives. Keep cutting until the mixture looks like coarse meal (I used my food processor, which was MUCH quicker!).  Add the egg and milk mixture. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened but not smooth. Drop by tablespoons onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops begin to turn brown.   


What else can you do with an extra 6 pounds of strawberries? Make kabobs, of course!


They're GREAT for picnics with a pre-schooler!


And, last, but not least, strawberries are practically PERFECT for a girls night salad like I made last week...(I forgot to take photos, so here's a "glamour shot" from Pinterest)


Strawberry Spinach Salad (adapted from www.luxefinds.com)

Spinach (I get the organic pre washed spinach in a bag)
goat cheese "crumbles"
sliced strawberries
sugared/candied pecans
poppy seed dressing (I found a strawberry poppy seed dressing at my supermarket!)

Directions:

I didn’t really measure anything out – I just eyeballed everything. Combine everything together and toss with the dressing. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment