Sunday, December 1, 2013

Today's Brilliant Idea: Pumpkin Pie in a Jar!
 

Brilliant! I've seen this on Pinterest, of course, and just HAD to try it! Since there's no crust in my version, it's even easier to make! When I was little, my mom used to pour leftover  pumpkin pie filling into "custard cups", a.k.a. small Pyrex bowls, and bake it as a treat. I remember eating it cold from the fridge as an after school snack and thinking how decadent it was! I've never been a huge fan of the pastry crust that is de rigour with pumpkin pie; I used to scrape out the filling and leave the crust when I was a kid...so this version was perfect! I topped our "pies" with Cool Whip (a must) and sprinkled it with cinnamon - oh my! Another plus? It's so simple to store leftovers; just screw on the lid and pop into the fridge for later - sweet!


I used the recipe on the back of a can of pureed pumpkin:
 
Pumpkin Pie in a Jar (adapted from Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe)
 
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs
15-ounce can pureed pumpkin
12-ounce can evaporated milk
 
Combine sugar and spices in a small bowl and set aside.  Beat eggs in a large bowl.  Stir in pumpkin and sugar/spice mixture.  Gradually stir in the evaporated milk. Pour into canning jars (I used 16-ounce/2-cup wide mouthed jars).  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until top is "set".  Serve immediately or refrigerate.  Yummy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment