Sunday, May 6, 2012


A Cinco de Mayo birthday brunch!


Yesterday, we hosted a birthday brunch for my Dad (his birthday is actually May 2nd), with a Cinco de Mayo theme; since it was, well, Cinco de Mayo! It was also Derby Day (at Churchill Downs) but I didn't make any mint juleps, bourbon balls or pecan pie; maybe next year! 



I DID make some mini pinatas for occasion - the burro pinata was assembled in such a way that the mini M&Ms inside of it came out it's backside...everyone LOVED that!


Foodwise, I served juices from the Hispanic section of the supermarket (Regan loved the strawberry nectar), a breakfast casserole (see recipe below), hash browns and mixed fruit. Plus, chocolate cupcakes with festive flags I made from the leftover tissue paper I used to make the pinatas. Fun!


Breakfast Casserole (adapted from www.allrecipes.com)

1 pound ground pork sausage
1 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
6 slices day-old bread, cubed
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp)

Crumble sausage in skillet.  Brown and drain.  Mix together mustard, salt, eggs and milk.  Add sausage, bread and cheese.  Stir to coat evenly.  Pour into greased 9X13-inch dish.  Cover and chill overnight.  Bake at 350 degrees (covered) for 45-60 minutes, then uncovered at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment