Sunday, December 11, 2011


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...and I am SO busy! So much to do in such a short time, and only so many hours in a day! At my house, we (my husband and I, and now my husband, daughter and I) have a family get-together or two before Christmas, to enjoy the decorations, food and each other before the chaos of the holiday.  We used to host a pre-
Christmas meal a day or two before Christmas, but now my family members are spread all over the country.  Today, we are hosting my in-laws for lunch, and I made something "festive" for dessert: Magic Cookie Bars! I rarely make these, but was feeling nostalgic (my aunt makes them at Christmastime); and they make the house smell wonderful (and they taste good too)! I can't believe I didn't have the recipe in my "binder" (ginormous cook book) so had to look it up online. This recipe is from www.eaglebrand.com:




Magic Cookie Bars

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (12 ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Heat oven to 350.  Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.  Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter in a small bowl.  Press into bottom of prepared pan.  Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture.  Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts.  Press down firmly with a fork.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack.  Cut into bars.

For perfectly cut cookie bars, line entire pan with foil, extending foil over edge of pan.  Coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray.  After bars have been baked and cooled, lift up edges of foil to remove from pan.  Cut into bars.


Works like a charm!

 
Later this week, I'd like to make Date Pinwheels (another family tradition) and gingerbread men, but I'm also hosting a Holiday Girls Night, and may not have time. Of course, that's what I say every day, and I still find time to fit a few "projects" in! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment