Sunday, December 18, 2011


Christmastime is for family, traditions and good memories. So here's some of mine...Date Pinwheel Cookies! Not a very mainstream Christmas cookie, but popular in my family! Over the years I have encountered those who've never heard of them, but liked them after trying them (they taste similar to Fig Newtons)! My maternal grandmother made them every Christmas, until her death in 2001, and on one occasion (when I was in my twenties) I actually got to help her make them in her little retirement apartment oven; so I have "insider" knowledge the rest of my family wasn't privy to!









Grandma Beckner's Date Pinwheel Cookies
(with special thanks to Lucile Ernest Beckner)


1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening; part butter (I used 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 cup butter)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
5 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda (added to flour)

Combine sugars, shortening and vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time to mixture, mixing between each egg.  Add flour and soda mixture (the dough will be quite stiff). Divide into 3 or 4 parts and roll out into rectangles between sheets of waxed paper.  Place dough rectangles on a baking sheet and chill while making filling.

Cook and cool:

1/2 pound (I used about 2 cups) coarsely chopped dates
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Spread cooked dates (once cooled) onto rolled out dough, roll up and chill.  Slice and place on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned.


The cookies are great warm, with a cup of coffee! I will be shipping some off to family members who are scattered all over the country, since I seem to be the only one making them this year...! I will be thinking of and missing my grandma as I eat "her" cookies this holiday season.  What are some of your "food" traditions? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment