Monday, July 15, 2013

Local Flavor: barbecued chicken
 
 
Where I live, in Northern Indiana, there is a food that epitomizes warm weather: "Port-a-Pit" chicken. The company, officially called Nelson's, is based in a VERY small town, yet is known state-wide. Their portable barbecue "pit" signals a local fundraising effort, and the smell of the cooking chicken fills the air, enticing you to stop and pick up a few halves. Yum! I have no idea how much of this chicken my family eats in a season (it's not available year round); it's always a hit! If you're so inclined, check them out at http://nelsonsbbq.com
 
My brother, an Arizona resident now, for 20-odd years, occasionally gets cravings for this local delicacy.  He recently asked if I have a recipe for the sauce, which makes this chicken soooooo good, so I dug up some chicken barbecue sauce recipes from my "archives" (giant three-ring binder full of recipes).  I have NOT tried these recipes, despite the fact that I cut them from a local paper almost 20 years ago. Why don't all of you (my readers, if I have any) try it out and let me know....or maybe I'll finally buckle down and give it a whirl!
 
Chicken Barbecue Sauce #1  
 
4 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
1 stick butter or margarine
4 Tbl. salt
5-6 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
 
Mix ingredients in large pot and add chicken (breasts, thighs, legs or halved chicken).  Heat to boiling and cover.  Boil 10 minutes, then remove from heat.  Let the marinated chicken set overnight.  To cook, place chicken on a hot grill and grill about 10 minutes on each side.  According to "Betty from Topeka", marinating overnight is the key.
 
Chicken Barbecue Sauce #2 
 
1 stick butter
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt (this is correct)
2 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
 
Stir ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until well blended.  Marinate chicken in the sauce.  Baste often during cooking in oven on on grill. 
 
 
Happy Grilling!
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment